Jerry N. Theos, Esquire
Charleston Lawyer for Family Law, Criminal Defense & Personal Injury
Mr. Theos is a native Charlestonian. He is an alumnus of The Citadel and Clemson University, having earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in English. Thereafter, he received his J.D. degree in 1982 from the University of South Carolina School of Law. He was admitted to the South Carolina Bar in 1982 and served as Deputy Public Defender for Charleston County for approximately two years and has been in private practice since 1985. He is admitted to practice in all courts of South Carolina, including South Carolina Supreme Court, South Carolina Court of Appeals, United States District Court, District of South Carolina, and South Carolina Court of Appeals, and is also admitted to the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Mr. Theos is engaged in general trial practice throughout the State of South Carolina in the areas of criminal, civil and domestic law. Additionally, he is certified by the South Carolina Supreme Court to serve as lead counsel in death penalty cases and death penalty post-conviction relief cases. He has also served as a guest lecturer at both the Charleston School of Law, the University of South Carolina School of Law, as well as seminars throughout the state.
Mr. Theos is former President of the Charleston County Bar Association and is included and cited in The Best Lawyers in America, Martindale-Hubbell’s Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers ( the highest rating in legal ability and ethical standards), Super Lawyers, and Who’s Who in American Law. He is an active member in good standing of the following: American Bar Association, South Carolina Bar Association, Charleston County Bar Association, American Trial Lawyers, South Carolina Association of Trial Lawyers, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, South Carolina Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (Benefactor and Chairman of the White Collar Crime Committee), and Federal Bar Association.
- J.D., Doctor of Jurisprudence, University of South Carolina School of Law, Columbia, South Carolina, 1982
- B.A., Bachelor of Arts, Major: English, The Citadel, Clemson University, Clemson, SC, 1979
- Bishop England High School 1975
Activities & Affiliations
- South Carolina Bar (Family Law and Criminal Law Section)
- American Bar Association
- The Charleston County Bar Association
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- South Carolina Association for Criminal Justice
- South Carolina
- Best Lawyers in America
- Martindale-Hubbell’s Bar Directory of Preeminent Lawyers
- South Carolina Top Lawyers
- Charleston Living Top Lawyers Excellence; Achievements by the legal community
- American Institute of Family Law Attorneys (10 Best Attorneys-South Carolina)
- Top 10 South Carolina Super Lawyers
- National Trial Lawyers Top 100 Trial Lawyers
- Best Attorneys of America, Rue’s Rating Lifetime Charter Member